Monday 3 October 2011

En route

Well I am probably the worst Facebook'er ever but with all the requests to keep in touch I am already grateful that Tameeza and Senja 'encouraged' me to set this page up (ok Senja set it up for me!)

First funny experience was at the Vancouver airport. After all the meticulous chaos of checking in, dropping off luggage, saying goodbye and going through security, it was time to be interrogated by the border guard. I walked up trying to be as calm as possible - if something goes sideways here I'll be missing my flight.

- "Where are you travelling to?"
- "Haiti"
Raised eyebrows...."What is the purpose of your trip?"
- "I am going there to do some relief work with World Vision"
- "Are you an optometrist?"
(ok, so as I write this, I am just realizing why he asked! Guess I really was nervous)
- "No, I am an engineer - I work in water treatment"
- "So that's what you'll be doing down there?"
- "Yes, well actually wastewater"
- "Right...to help with the syphilis outbreak?"
(?!? STD vs. waterborne disease - really? ... Should I correct a Border Guard?...)
- "Actually it was a cholera outbreak"
Pause.....
(please, please don't have a big ego....)
"hmmm...all right ma'am have a safe trip"
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment