Tuesday 4 October 2011

Day 2

Today was interesting....awoken at 2:55am by a rooster with a time issue - no it was not light out yet....had a transition meeting with mountains of documents and history (I think I wrote 10 pages of notes!)....went down to Security to get my badge and had the security guard point her machine gun my way as I could not enter Security without a badge (?!)....had a plan to go see the site but that was cancelled by Security due to a funeral happening in Cite Soleil for the 2nd highest voodoo priest who was shot last week (have to go through Cite Soleil to get to the site)....ok change plans...decide to meet site superintendant for lunch...almost cancelled due to a flat tire (absolutely insane roads..way worse than any backcountry road I have ever been on).....drove past the Canadian embassy on the way back....closed out day with a good chat with the two engineers working for me and my driver....picked up some supplies at the store (which also has machine gun toting guards)...then came home (through the closed gate guarded by...yes...machine gun toting guards) to a beautiful dinner made by the ladies who look after the team house....all in all a successful day!

Some photos below.  They do not show what the conditions in PaP are really like - will upload some of those soon.

Engineers and driver changing tire

Team house view


Canadian Embassy

No comments:

Post a Comment